Saturday, November 26, 2005

Musings on "Black Friday"

* To America's retail wage-slaves on their worst day of the year: the view from the other side of the cash desk, from one who has labored on both sides. *

My name is Savage, and I have retail problems.

Okay, I am a woman. I shop. I know what I am talking about. (Can I hear an amen, sisters?)

As a former retail clerk who has served both the nicest of customers and the rudest and stupidest, and as a former retail clerk who has served with both the best of employees and the rudest and stupidest, I have a few things to say on the subject.

As a customer, here is what I require:

I want to go in and pick out what I want, and if I have questions about the merchandise, I want you, the sales clerk, to be able to answer them, or to quickly find someone who can. Do not say, "I dunno," and think you can leave it at that.

I want to be able to pay for my merchandise in a timely manner, and I don't want any rudeness to enter the transaction zone. Do not give me any of your pompous attitude. Remember which one of us is standing behind the register for minimum wage. Princess Diana you are not.

(Y'all still with me so far?)

I do not want to hear your private conversations, especially when they refer to customers. I do not want to hear an after-the-sale evisceration of the looks, weight, character or taste of the unfortunate shopper who preceded me at the cash register. Oh, and I really don't care when you are taking your break, or what your boyfriend said last night, or the results of your medical test. Can the employee's break room chatter while on the sales floor, okay?

I do not want to have to send out a search party for you when it comes time to pay for my stuff. Be there. It's your job. They aren't paying you because you're so darn cute. Really.

Unpacking boxes, hanging clothes, recording sales info; these are things you have to do, I know. What you need to understand, is that these things are not as important as waiting on your customer. If the customers go away, YOU WILL NO LONGER HAVE A JOB.

(Sorry. I just wanted to make sure you were listening. Your mind seemed to be wandering.)

Dress like a grown-up professional, not a teenaged hooker/slacker. I don't think you want to see my undergarments or private body parts; I assure you that I do not want to see yours.

Do a good job, be smart and keep your eyes and ears open. Soon, perhaps, you can leave your crappy retail job for something better. Until then, remember:

YOUR CRAPPY JOB IS NOT MY FAULT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartedly! couldn't have put it better myself. I worked as a photo clerk for awhile (have since moved on to much better things) And my co-workers drove me nuts whining about our job. If you don't like it quit and save the damn customers some time and read a book or do some research so you know what your talking about. If you can't be good at being a sales clerk, what can you possibly be good at? It's one of the easiest jobs in the world.