Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Memories

So I recently read that beauty experts say that perfume lasts for maybe six months, tops. After that, it sours. Hmmm...

I don't think so.

A few days ago, I finally pried up the stopper of some perfume I bought on Ebay. It had never been opened, and time had somehow managed to glue the little bottle shut. I was afraid that any vigorous attempt to open it would lead to a broken crystal stopper.

On that morning, my patience was rewarded. With a tiny sigh, the little bottle opened at last. The fragrance of more than a half-century ago filled the room. Deeply fragrant flowers, rich spices, warm musk and amber blended with the scent of dark pipe tobacco-saturated wood...

Memories that were not mine flooded my mind.

I dabbed the tiniest little bit on my wrists.

Days later, the fragrance lives on my skin and in my room. It will not fade away.

The scent of years gone by remains.

Still, it lingers.

No comments: