Saturday, April 29, 2006

Betrayal

So, Savage and Grumpy got all excited about the town chili cook-off and even ordered two enormous cast iron pots, weighing in at 46 pounds each. Now the UPS woman hates me.

I set about seasoning them, a process that can take weeks, especially since they can only go into the oven one at a time, sans their lids. I injured my arm lifting the behemoths. So I had to cease the seasoning process for a while.

Meanwhile, I tried to find out about the much ballyhooed chili cook-off. For some reason, I could not find any info about registering for it. There were no fliers floating about town, no application form in the daily fishwrap and no one I spoke to seemed to know anything about it. Yet it was always mentioned in the newspaper articles about the upcoming Ramona festival.

As it turned out, we had to be out of town on the day of the festival and alleged chili cook-off. A son-in-law returning safely from Iraq beats a chance to show off our cooking skills any old day.

The other day, I got ahold of a copy of the local weekly and learned why we couldn't get any info on the cook-off. Apparently our town council, eager as always to build community spirit (yeah, right) decided that the chili cook-off was for restaurants only.

Way to go, Tumbleweed Junction!

No comments: