Friday, June 29, 2007

You'll Never Know What I'm Apologizing For

I guess it's true what they say: booze and pills don't mix. * All I can say is, thank goodness I abruptly forgot how to use a keyboard last night, so you are spared approximately 400 words of heartfelt braindrool. I can scarcely bear to look at it, but it seems to be about a plant. And life. It would no doubt make an excellent poster for some over-aged emo chick's bedroom, hung right next to the 'Hang in There!" kitty and the David Hasselhoff one where he has his hands down his pants. I should throw the dirty little page away, but I'm going to keep it, to remind myself of my secret, sentimental self, and why I should never let her out to play.

* Sedation dentistry, a Vicodin, and one teeny, tiny (cough-cough) glass of wine.

Instead, I'll go to my default, and post a recipe for quiche. It's what I'm eating now, with an amusing little French rose. (That's pronounced roe-zay; I can't get the accent mark to work. Also, the thing on the computer that plays music from the internet seems to be very broken.) The wine is amusing because I've drunk so much of it, by the way.

This recipe makes just enough for two 5 inch tart pans, and it really needs a salad on the side, but I couldn't be bothered, today.


Two Small Cheese Quiches

Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Pour yourself a glass of wine.

Make crust:

2/3 c. flour

1/4 c. butter

a couple of pinches of salt

enough water to hold it all together, say 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons. I forget, but you'll know when it's right. Press it into your pans. Have another glass of wine.

Filling:

2/3 c. heavy cream

1 large egg

Blend together and season with a bit of salt and pepper, at least. I also threw in a bit of garlic, dry yellow mustard, and red cayenne pepper. How's the wine holding up?

Strew a bit of thinly sliced onion on the bottom of your crusts if you like; I do. Generally, I also add a bit of bacon, but not today. Grate 2-3 ounces of cheese and dribble it over the crust. I know I used some cheddar, and perhaps some scraggy bit of something that was left over that I can't recall, as I made these quiches three days ago. Ooh, this bottle's empty.

Where the heck did Grumpy put that corkscrew? What happened to my glass?

I couldn't remember how long they should cook, but 55 minutes seemed to do it. If you don't keep opening the oven door and checking on them as I did, perhaps 50 minutes would be enough. You don't want a wobbly, blobby quiche--that is, after it has cooled, but if the smoke alarm goes off, it's too late.

(I'm going to have one of the safety-at-work signs made up for my kitchen. Mine will say: ___ smoke-alarm-free days.)

As I said, it goes well with salad: Caesar, if you can be bothered. Above all, don't forget the wine. Really.

You know, it's really good, straight out of the bottle. Really

1 comment:

Glenna said...

You mean vic and booze aren't supposed to go together? Damn, I learn something new every day.