Friday, January 19, 2007

Another Night in Paradise

Well, Grumpy just peeled himself out of the comfy chair and went to bed, after aurally assaulting me with Sonic Symphony Opus #114. All in all, it was a pretty good night for us. Only four or five neighbors complained about his snoring tonight (winter weather, shut windows). He kissed the cat goodnight, scratched me behind the ears, and staggered off to bed for a couple of hours. As usual, I am wide-eyed silently screamingly wakeful. I want to sing! I want to dance! I want to change the world; climb mountains, cross seas--or at the very least, shop. Why can't the world run on vampire time? Though I drink only the blood of dead medium-rare cows, I can readily identify with the vampire's need to be awake while the rest of the world sleeps.

My Queendom for an all-night bookstore with a bourbon bar! Imagine if you will, a building positively groaning on its foundation from the weight of words bound in paper, leather, and cloth. Studded with cushiony velvet chairs with handy hassocks and end tables, classical music softly playing, the smell of cinnamon buns, freshly brewed coffee, tea and hot chocolate floating by... Oh, heaven is just a short drive away! (In my dreams.)

Ah, yes. As I curl up with my literary selections, a handsome young cabana boy brings me a tray of hot chocolate and cinnamon buns. Then, with a merry wink and a smile that shows off his dimples, he says, "And I thought Madame might enjoy this." And with a flourish, he tucks a white linen napkin about my lap, as he sets a fragrant goblet of Maker's Mark at my elbow.

Aaahh... A girl can dream...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you find that all night bookstore with a bourbon bar, I'll gladly sit with you and moon the passersby through the front window.

daphne and George Dickel salute!!!!